As a high school or undergraduate Physics or Earth Sciences teacher, you can use this set of computer-based tools to help you in teaching about Coriolis Force, the Coriolis Effect, and how the Coriolis Effect influences climate (trade winds and upwelling).
This lesson plan allows students to understand the Coriolis Force, and the effect of the Coriolis Force on weather and climate. The videos and activity explain how the Coriolis effect determines the direction of trade winds and upwelling in the oceans.
Use this lesson plan to help your students find answers to:
- 1. What is the Coriolis Effect?
- 2. How does the Coriolis Effect affect the direction of motion in the northern hemisphere?
- 3. How does the Coriolis Effect affect the direction of motion in the southern hemisphere?
- 4. How does the Coriolis Effect influence the direction of trade winds on Earth?
- 5. What is upwelling? How does the Coriolis Effect affect upwelling in the oceans?
About Lesson Plan
|Grade Level||High School, Undergraduate|
|Discipline||Physics, Earth Sciences|
|Topic(s) in Discipline||• Physics : Coriolis Force and Coriolis Effect,
• Earth Sciences: Coriolis Force, Coriolis Effect, Trade Winds, Upwelling
|Climate Topic||Climate and the Atmosphere, Climate and the Hydrosphere|
|Access||Online , Offline|
|Approximate Time Required||40-50 min|
|A micro-lecture (video) that introduces the Coriolis Effect.|
|Classroom/ Laboratory activity
(10 – 15 min)
|A hands-on classroom/laboratory activity to explain the Coriolis Effect.|
|A micro-lecture (video) that introduces the topic of upwelling in the oceans, and how the direction of motion of water is influenced by the Coriolis Effect.
|A micro-lecture (video) that introduces the topic of trade winds, and how the direction of these winds is influenced by the Coriolis Effect.|
|1.Introduce the topic through a micro-lecture (video)||
|2. Conduct a classroom/laboratory activity||
|3. Play a micro-lecture (video)||
|4. Play a micro-lecture (video)||