As a Middle or High School French teacher or a teacher of French as a second language (basic or elementary level), you can use this set of computer-based tools to teach climate related French vocabulary and its usage in creative writing and spoken discussion.
Climate change is one of the most significant issue of our times. This lesson plan will allow students to learn basic French vocabulary related to the environment and climate change through reading activities. Further, it will enable them to apply this understanding in creative writing exercises.
The use of this lesson plan allows you to integrate the teaching of a climate science topic with a core topic in French.
A teacher-contributed lesson plan idea by Deepali Godbole and Sarita Rokade, Vidya Valley School, Pune, India.
Use this lesson plan to help your students to:
- Learn French Vocabulary related to the environment and climate change
- Apply the use of climate related French Vocabulary in writing and in spoken discussion
- Understand how climate change is one of the most significant issue of our times
About Lesson Plan
|Grade Level||Middle or High school|
|Topic(s) in Discipline||French Vocabulary, Creative Writing in French
Climate and Environment related French Vocabulary
French Reading Comprehension, Email Writing Exercise in French
|Climate Topic||Introduction to climate change|
|50 – 60 min|
|An introductory reading in French for teachers that gives an overview of climate change, its causes and impacts. This includes a list of commonly used terms in climate related text and their associated meanings. This document is also available in English.|
Reading Comprehension and Creative Writing
|An activity module that includes the reading of an informal email in French that talks about the immediate environmental issues in the city of Nîmes in France and about global warming with an accompanying English translation of the same. Also included are follow-up webpages to revise the vocabulary used in the email, instructions for an email writing exercise and a grammar test to assess the learning.
(Optional: This resource also includes a video that talks about preserving the environment.)
Note: This video may not be accessible in all global locations however its transcript is freely available to download here.
Here is a step-by-step guide to using this lesson plan in the classroom/laboratory. We have suggested these steps as a possible plan of action. You may customize the lesson plan according to your preferences and requirements.
Step 1: Topic introduction and discussion
- Use this reading, ‘Introduction aux changements climatiques’ by Clean Foundation, Canada, to explain the main points about climate change to your students.
- Use portions of the text, especially the list of climate related terms, to acquaint your students with climate terminology and their corresponding words and meanings.
- If required, use the English version of the document, ‘Climate Change background info’ to explain the meanings of the climate related terms.
- Ask your students to note the newly introduced French vocabulary for the subsequent writing activity.
Step 2 : Apply the new vocabulary in an exercise of writing and classroom discussion
- Use the activity module, ‘The environment- Writing’ by Bitesize, BBC, to conduct a series of classroom activities in French.
- Use the given email sample, ‘Environmental issues’ in French as a reading exercise for your students and use the corresponding English translation to explain the French text to them.
- Navigate to the next webpage, ’Writing about the environment’ to direct your students to do a writing exercise in French- a response email to the previously perused one.
- Besides asking them to use the ‘ideas’ given in the webpage to compose the email response, remind them of the climate related vocabulary acquired from the previous resource.
- Direct your students to use it in their email writing exercise by including points about climate change and how it affects them locally/regionally.
- Finally, use the tab for ‘Test’ to access an online test in grammar related to the topic of environment.
- (Optional: Use the tab ‘Video’ to play a video that talks about preserving the environment. Note: This video may not be accessible in all global locations however its transcript in French with its translation in English, is available to download here. This may be used for a role play exercise in French).