A comic book by Somdatta Karak, CSIR- Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology, India that introduces different forms of energy and how carbon based fossil fuels are causing global warming. This comic is inspired by a talk by Deepa Kushalani, TIFR, India titled ‘Energy Sources and Climate Crisis’ as part of the Climate Change Challenge outreach program of the CCMB. This reading can be used as an introduction to the topic of climate change by primary, middle school and high school teachers. It includes discussions on
- What is energy?
- What are the different sources of energy?
- How coal is the preferred energy source since the Industrial Revolution
- How the burning of coal leads to CO2 emissions that causes global warming
- Alternative sources of energy such as Solar, Wind, Nuclear energy
Students will learn about what is climate change. They will also learn about different energy sources including traditional carbon based energy such as coal and renewable energy sources. They will also learn how human activity is causing an increase in greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere leading to global warming.
Use this tool to help your students find answers to:
- What is Climate Change?
- List some non-renewable and renewable sources of energy.
- How did the widespread usage of coal since the Industrial Revolution lead to global warming?
About the Tool
|Tool Name||Balancing the Energy and Climate Crises|
|Topic(s) in Discipline||Climate Change Overview, Introduction to Climate Change, The Greenhouse Effect|
|Climate Topic||Introduction to Climate Change, Climate Literacy|
|Type of tool||Reading|
|Grade Level||Primary School, Middle School, High School, Undergraduate|
|Developed by||Somdatta Karak|
|Hosted at||Climate Change Challenge page of the CSIR- Centre for Cellular & Molecular Biology website published here|