A reading by the U.S. Global Change Research Program titled ‘Climate Literacy: The Essential Principles of Climate Science’. This reading can be used as an introduction to the topic by teachers interested in teaching about climate literacy. The reading is a guide for individuals and communities. “The guide aims to promote greater climate science literacy by providing this educational framework of principles and concepts. The guide can also serve educators who teach climate science as a way to meet content standards in their science curricula.”
It includes the following topics:
- What is Climate Science Literacy?
- Why does Climate Science Literacy matter?
- Climate Science Literacy is part of Science Literacy
- Climate Science Literacy is an ongoing process
- How do we know what is scientifically correct
- Guiding principles for informed climate decisions
Students will learn about climate literacy. They will also learn about why climate literacy is important and how it belongs in the larger science literacy and communication discourses.
Use this tool to help your students find answers to:
- What is Climate Literacy?
- Discuss the scientific basis for climate change.
About the Tool
|Tool Name||Climate Literacy: The Essential Principles of Climate Science|
|Discipline||Environmental Sciences, Humanities|
|Topic(s) in Discipline||Climate Change Overview, Climate Literacy, Science Literacy, Climate Communication|
|Climate Topic||Climate Literacy|
|Type of tool||Reading|
|Grade Level||High School, Undergraduate|
|Developed by||U.S. Global Change Research Program|
|Hosted at||U.S. Global Change Research Program|