A series of micro-lectures (videos) for an overview of the relationships between the Earth’s climate, the biosphere, and the lithosphere.
Climate Science Education Series
A collection of micro-lectures by Raghu Murtugudde, Professor, University of Maryland, USA.
This Series consists of the following video lecture:
- Structure of the Earth
- Introduction to the Geo-Biosphere
- Plate Tectonics, Plate Movement and Plate Reconstruction
- Movement of the Indian Plate, Climate Change and Biological Response
- Geologic Timescales
- Tree of Life
- Allometric and Isometric Scaling
- Effect of Climate on Biology: Allopatric Speciation
- Evolution of Plants, Flowers and Seeds
- Life and the Evolution of Earth’s Atmosphere
- Climate Impacts on Leaf Morphology
- Plant Response to Climate Change
- Environmental Variability and Biodiversity
- Environmental Variability and Distribution of Species
- Climate, The Earth’s Atmosphere & The Biosphere
- Human Origins, Human Evolution and Climate
- Human Migration and Species Extinction
- Human Induced Change and Effect on Species
- Climate and Sex Selection
Students will learn about topics such as plate tectonics, formation of mountains, climate and biological evolution. They will also be introduced to how plant responses to changes in atmospheric CO2, what determines the distribution of species on planet Earth, and how humans are affecting climate, and how climate influences human evolution.
Use this tool to help your students find answers to:
- Are humans changing climate to such an extent that species cannot adapt?
- How have the Himalayas influenced climate and affected vegetation?
- What is the impact of mean temperature on leaf morphology?
- How does climate change affect competition between C3 and C4 plants?
- How does human migration affect species distribution?
About the Tool:-
|Tool Name||Earth’s Climate, the Biosphere, and Geological Evolution|
|Discipline||Biological Sciences, Earth Sciences|
|Topic(s) in Discipline||Climate Change Overview|
|Climate Topic||Climate and the Biosphere; Climate Literacy|
|Type of Tool||Video/Microlectures|
|Developed by||Raghu Murtugudde for TROP ICSU|
|Hosted at||YouTube Channel of the Science Media Center, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Pune, India|
|Link||Structure of the Earth|
Introduction to the Geo-Biosphere
Plate Tectonics, Plate Movement and Plate Reconstruction
Movement of the Indian Plate, Climate Change and Biological Response
Tree of Life
Allometric and Isometric Scaling
Effect of Climate on Biology: Allopatric Speciation
Evolution of Plants, Flowers and Seeds
Life and the Evolution of Earth’s Atmosphere
Climate Impacts on Leaf Morphology
Plant Response to Climate Change
Environmental Variability and Biodiversity
Environmental Variability and Distribution of Species
Climate, The Earth’s Atmosphere & The Biosphere
Human Origins, Human Evolution and Climate
Human Migration and Species Extinction
Human Induced Change and Effect on Species
Climate and Sex Selection