A video lecture by Raghu Murtugudde, University of Maryland for TROP ICSU titled ‘ The Earth System and Climate’ that provides an overview of the Earth’s system and its climate. This video discusses different aspects of the Earth’s system and how they determine Earth’s climate. These include
- Stratospheric chemistry/dynamics
- Atmospheric physics/dynamics
- Ocean dynamics
- Terrestrial Energy/ Moisture
- Global Moisture
- Marine Biogeochemistry
- Terrestrial Ecosystems
- Tropospheric Chemistry
- Land Use
- Human Activities
Students will understand the Earth system. They will also understand the various factors that determine the climate of planet Earth. They will also learn about natural variability of the Earth’s climate and the role of human activities in climate change.
Use this tool to help your students find answers to:
- What are the different components of the Earth System and what is their role in determining the climate of the planet?
- What is the contribution of human activity to global warming?
About the Tool
|Tool Name||The Earth System and Climate|
|Topic(s) in Discipline||Climate Change Overview, Earth System|
|Climate Topic||Climate Literacy; Introduction to Climate Change|
|Type of tool||Video/Microlecture (13 mins and 32 secs)|
|Grade Level||High School, Undergraduate|
|Developed by||Raghu Murtugudde|